Tuesday 28 June 2011

Guy #1: "Trust Your Gut" (Victor)

I originally set up my online dating profile without any pictures and without and real information.  I filled it out with a bunch of gibberish so that I could get beyond looking at the 10 profiles they allow you to look at without signing up.  Then one night I was home sick and bored.  I started browsing and actually saw some profiles that looked good to me.  So in order not to look like an idiot I actually put forth an effort to write a halfway intelligent sounding profile.  I was not (and still am not) ready to include a picture.  Last time I was online for dating purposes I attracted way to many freaks.  This time I wanted to be in control...message people that I thought I might be interested in and then send a picture if I get a positive response.


Not my actual date(Name has also been changed).  Photo credit LOOKBOOK.nu 

I messaged a few guys and then I received a message from a guy that I was not interested in.  He claimed he
thought he had spoken to me before on there (he hadn't).  I looked at his profile...although I was not initially attracted to him he sounded reasonably intelligent and actually seemed like we might have some things in common.  Here is a little sample from his profile...in hindsight I think he might sound a little douche-y.  Am I wrong?

- can answer a disturbingly high number of questions on Jeopardy
- regularly send emails without proof reading them, which sometimes comes a cross as if English is my second language (it is not) or I am an idiot ( also which I am not). If I end up sending you one, I apologise in advance. And no I don't have an accent unless you count a Ontario one.
- just vain enough that I want to look my best and not look like sh*t wearing ugly shoes, but not so vain as to make getting ready in the morning take longer than 15min
-genuinely enjoy shopping both as spectator and participant, I will even hold your purse and not make a big deal about it
- sometimes wear a suit to work (think "Mad Men") and a tie on Sat., but I'm far from being a "suit" or uptight
- favorite movies Office Space, Dark Knight, Jesus Christ Superstar (I like the music), Team America, 500 days of summer . I know some pretty pedestrian choices but I also like some more highbrow stuff like "City of God" and documentaries.


We started chatting and after exchanging a few messages, cut to the chase and decided to meet for brunch the following weekend.  We went out and I was pleasantly suprised.  He was well dressed, intelligent and we seemed to have lots in common.  Not to mention he has a good job and no baggage.  We extended our date and went to some local shops that we both enjoy.  I left feeling pleasantly suprised.

Fast forward three days(Wednesday).  We meet up for nachos and beers on a local patio.  After this date I feel as though we are essentially the same person...we had soooo much in common.  We kiss in my car when I drop him off at the end of the date.  Not a gross sloppy creepy kiss.  A nice respectful second date kiss. 

We see eachother Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... we seem to be hitting it off.  I am a little nervous because originally I wanted to take things slow and just date and have fun.  However things are going well and he is initiating the all the hanging out and is texting throughout the day consistently...I am having fun so I decide to go with it. 

*(I should note here though that there were a few signs that he may not be exactly perfect for me.  He is a little too obsessed with fashion.  I like a man that looks good but not one that is more concerned about his looks than me.  He also likes to complain about everything that Halifax does not have and how it is better in his Upper Canadian home city.  Mildly annoying but tolerable given how much other stuff we have in common.  I also noted to a friend that I was unsure if it was a passionate love connection, but I was having fun)

Friday night he meets me at work and we have an awesome dinner together.  This was sort of an impromptu plan as we already had plans to head to the market on Saturday.  We go back to his place and watch a movie and.....wake up the next morning at his place for the first time.  I head home and shower etc.  We stick to our market plan.  Things are a little lackluster but I figure we are both tired and can't be "on" all the time.  Anyhoo that is the last time I saw him. 

Oh he texts me from time to time...but doesn't seem to want to see me again...I don't know what he is trying to prove...maybe that he is not a jerk....who knows.  Am I being a crazy girl for being confused about this?  If I had behaved like a crazy girl leaching on to him, pressuring him, calling and texting him like crazy...sure....that would make sense.  However I was not the initiator.  Oh well his loss. 

He was also dangerously close to being a hipster.


No comments:

Post a Comment